(urth) Gollancz list

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 14:17:16 PDT 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, James Wynn wrote:

> Interesting. I found _Perelandra_ much more preachy than _That Hideous
> Strength_ -- one metaphor after another. And for that reason found it tedious
> to work through (even though a couple of the lessons are pretty good ones).

The secret is willing suspension of one's allegory detection sense.
Wasn't it Tolkein who said "when I see an allegory, I reach for my
revolver"?  I quite enjoyed _Pilgrim's Progress_ (when younger) via this
method, and it helps to maintain the magic in some of James Branch Cabell.
After all, I work quite close to Fortitude Valley, but have long since
worn away any meaning in the name.

Cheers, David Duffy.