(urth) choices

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 14:28:35 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 8/5/11, Ryan Dunn <ryan at liftingfaces.com> wrote:

> Although I think you'll find film villains more close to
> what Antonio was asking about, since the medium tends to
> cartoonize literary villains for cinematic effect.
>
> Hannibal Lecter springs to mind, amongst others. Buffalo
> Bill in that same film for that matter. Jack Torance in The
> Shining, although the spirits haunting the grounds probably
> the true villain there.
>
> ...ryan

Yeah, the best villainous fellows are captured in film: Kronos in highlander with his distorted musketeer mentality, breeding a virus to nonsensically destroy everything, or someone like the General in Fist of Legend, who argues with his colleague about what it is to follow Bushido before breaking his back and blaming the Chinese for his death - that argument is awesome - to paraphrase, "I was supposed to win that fight so faar and square, how could you poison him? It is not the way of the warrior."  "What do you know about the way of the warrior?  It is to obey the emperor, to do what must be done, regardless of consequences, even to be reviled and scorned throughout eternity etc etc."

But I did like that bad guy in Vance's The Face, just a great ending.  "I never want to see your ugly face looking over my wall again."  heh heh heh.

{I have a vague suspicion that Severian is a rather villainous apologist, like Number Five and Weer.  Latro and Silk are heroes, though.}