(urth) Book of the New Sun won the contest!

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 07:38:27 PDT 2011

Thanks for the link!  I look forward to exploring more about and by
Lafferty.

On the topic of women writers, has anyone read anything by Janny Wurts?  I
hear good things about her large and ongoing *Wars of Light and Shadow* and
have picked up the first two books, but have enough on my to-read pile that
I can't start them.  A brief scan through shows that the prose is very
dense, flowery, and "archaic" ... which is something I am more likely to
enjoy than not, if done well.  My favorite female writers have all tended to
be pretty far from the science fiction / fantasy genres (Jeannette Winterson
and Joyce Carol Oates).