(urth) Book of the New Sun won the contest!

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 07:16:15 PDT 2011

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com to Urth:My favorites were probably more
likely to be labeled as science fantasists, Zelazny, Philip K Dick, R A
Lafferty, Abraham Davidson, Cordwainer Smith, etc. I liked Theodore Sturgeon
though.

Nice list (including Bradbury) - throw in some Harlan Ellison, Brian Aldiss,
Michael Bishop, Le Guin, and, of course, Wolfe, and that's usually my kind
of brew.  I still can't get past that 60s/70s 'New Wave' sort of
anthropological s.f. period.  From the 80s I've enjoyed Dan Simmons, but I
really haven't read much s.f. beyond that.  (Except Tim Powers, who spans
70s to now, and whom I'm increasingly becoming a genuine fan of).  I only
went backwards in time from there - Lovecraft, William Hope Hodgson, Arthur
Machen, Lord Dunsany, Robert E. Howard, etc.  I'm really interested in
delving into more contemporary stuff from the likes of Michael Swanwick,
Wiliam Gibson, China Mieville, Charles Stross, Charles De Lint, John C.
Wright, etc.  Still trying to fit it in whilst trying to read and write
about the entire oeuvres of Lafferty and Wolfe!

-DOJP