(urth) Steampunk

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:31:42 PDT 2011

I didn't like those.  In theory, I like steampunk, but I am yet to
find something that really does well within the genre rather than just
try to pander to fans of it.  I know Vandermeer has it in him, so
maybe I just need to find more of his stuff.

Moorcock's Oswald Bastable novels are genius, though, but I'm
generally like, "Oh, another Moorcock novel? Yes, please!"  But maybe
that's because I liked the political subtext and Moorcock's
subversiveness more than others.  A "steampunkish" (I guess?) novel
that I did enjoy was Felix Gilman's "The Half-Made World," though it
was more like a weird Western than a steampunk novel.

LH