(urth) completed version - Donaldson, Moorcock etc

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:03:38 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM, David Duffy <davidD at qimr.edu.au> wrote:

> Moorcock's more complex works are the Cornelius novels, _Byzantium Endures_
> series, _Gloriana_, Dancers At the End of Time_, _Behold the Man_, _Warlord
> of the Air_ and its sequels.  The Elric stuff was written at great speed,
> and it shows (he would write a short novel in three days ;)).
>
> So, I don't think it's quite a fair comparison.  The allusiveness and
> strangeness of the Cornelius novels is a better place to start, if you are
> looking for depth.
>
> Cheers, David Duffy.

I mostly agree with this statement, though I'm not sure if I'd include the
Warlord of the Air/Nomad of the Time Streams books among Moorcock's "more
complex." Moorcock has stated he wrote them as didactic novels; his
protagonist moves through a variety of alternate worlds and encounters a
number of straw men societies, none of which really convince.

On the other hand, the Warlord books are great if you're ever in the mood
for a steampunk alternate history featuring mecha-Stalin vs. the a-bomb...

-Matt