(urth) Gollancz list (was: Re: Book of the New Sun won thecontest!)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 06:31:20 PDT 2011

I think it is worth mentioning again that Wolfe's politics do not really
map to a political party. It's vaguely conservative and vaguely
libertarian. Essentially a kind of conservativism that is common here in
Texas--but more radical.

I heard him say a few years ago that "The form of government I favor is
Democracy. America is not a Democracy. It is a Republic. That means that
ever few years we choose people to be in charge. And when we have--you
can believe--they know it." At other times, during the late
Clinton/early Bush presidencies he stated that the US government was
currently dominated by a class of elites.

As I read his attitude toward government, it is that it is always
essentially an evil, a curse, --always a tool of some in-crowd to
improve their own lot at the expense of others--with intermittent
periods of benevolence.

J.