(urth) Gollancz list (was: Re: Book of the New Sun wonthecontest!)

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Aug 7 01:36:28 PDT 2011

From: "Marc Aramini" <marcaramini at yahoo.com>

> I am still willing to accept the societal need for morally gray
> institutions like abortion,
> but I will of course then take the necessary extreme slippery slope view
> that all life is
> intrinsically NOT sacred and that all undesirable elements should be
> similarly removed
> from a position where they can cause inconvenience, (because that's the
> way my mind works.)

IMO that's not a philosophy that tells you very much, because you have not
yet defined inconvenience, and if your definition is restrictive you might
end up with a fairly typical society.

Without specifics, you are really only asserting that the complete absence
of moral relativism is intolerable, but too much of it might also be a bad
thing...

- Gerry Quinn