(urth) Gollancz list (was: Re: Book of the New Sun won the contest!)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Sat Aug 6 17:42:27 PDT 2011

On 28/07/11 16:27, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> Sigh. Not a single book by a woman made the list.
Dan'l, sorry to change the header and divert the thread but as I've
often noted before I will not receive my list mails back unless I do
this. That's Sky Mail aka gmail for you :(

On your comment: well as a woman I care far less about the lack of
female presence in the top 10 than I do about the *absence* of Ringworld
and also The Disposessed.

Praise the Lord, or the higher power of your choice, that neither of
these made it!

Niven is one of the most sexist male SF writers ever IMO (so even if
Ringworld itself isn't sexist (I don't know, because I'll never read a
Niven ever again after looking briefly at the Man-Kzin Wars / Known
Space series); Le Guin is ... well I don't know what to say. I did not
manage to read more than 1 chapter of The Disposessed; she was so intent
on banging her drum and drilling into our heads the contrast between her
idyllic but backward egalitarians and the technologically advanced
sexist b*****ds. Hated the sheer manipulative lameness. Hated every
sentence of it.

Only Le Guin adult fic I ever managed to finish was The Lathe of Heaven.
On the other hand I loved the original Earthsea series, though not the
follow-up recantations (should have said 'quod scripsi scripsi, deal
with it, IMO).

OTOH I will almost certainly buy the new Gollancz BOTNS eds when they
appear, how great to see Gene voted most wanted reprint. Fabulous!!

JD