(urth) choices

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 09:26:35 PDT 2011

>>  2011/8/5 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>:
>>>  It was written:

>>>  Time for another query. Who are your favourite arch-villains? I mean,
> those
>>>  who really rejoice in their villainy? Almost cartoonishly? (cartoon
> villains
>>>  don't count)

Sauron and the Lord of the Nazgul.

Are Tanith Lee's Lords of Darkness villains?

I liked Mordred in /The Once and Future King/, and he seemed to rejoice, sort of, in his villainy.  Mordred in /Camelot/ definitely does, more simply but with a charming song.

By the way, Antonio, in answer to your question about the Lensman books: Yes. :-)

> On Aug 5, 2011, at 10:33 AM, "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes"
> <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Vladimir Harkonnen.

> From: Lane Haygood <lhaygood at gmail.com>

>G ross.

I agree he's a good choice, but I'd say he's no worse than lots of other characters, except for his tendency to rape slave-boys.

Speaking of fat owners of sex slaves, I'd like to put in a word for Sencho be-L'vandor (sp?).

> I can't actually think of another book I've read with a defined
> "villain."

You haven't read LotR?

Jerry Friedman