(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 30 04:17:07 PDT 2011

  From: Bruce Hayles
  GW: I've read that book before; I've read it as realism many a time. It's a John Updike kind of book. I've read that story so many times ... now I read a book until I can recognize the story, and say, "This is what it is," and that's as far as it goes, since I have no urge to finish it. I'm long past feeling so guilty that I have to finish everything I start. I don't finish ninety percent of what I start.

I have to wonder whether it can be problematic for a writer to feel like that - does it lead to an obsessive concern with *concealing* the story, lest any reader recognise it before the last page?

- Gerry Quinn