(urth) Drotte-Roche mixup

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 18 14:10:09 PDT 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote:
> Towards the end, he mentions that he has spent days before his departure
> writing his autobiography. He does not mention making water during this
> time. Are we to assume that class of unrecorded interruption also does not
> happen?

And David Stockhoff:
>That's an objection in search of an argument.

It certainly doesn't address the argument I was making.

Antonio Marques wrote:
>That's all well, Troy, but aside from the chapter having not been the
>original first, it's nothing you hadn't said before.

I don't think that's true, Antronio, but it's not worth arguing over.

>I'm afraid that if we have to admit authorial mistakes without
>definite evidence as an explanation for this kind of stuff, we may as
>well not discuss half of Gene Wolfe's work.

We don't make life any easier for ourselves if we admit undetectable
toilet-breaks during which Severian fabricates memories.

It occurs to me that a fun way to resolve this would be for us all to
write in to Wolfe's publishers, disingenuously complaining about the
'error' we found on page 2, then see what happens in the next reprint.
:-)