(urth) The Nebraskan and the Nereid

Nessun Saprà nessun-sapra at web.de
Sun Apr 17 07:14:08 PDT 2011

I do have a further question, though, which is: why did the Nereid
scratch the letter psi into the sand by the body? (Or is it intended to
be read as a trident shape denoting allegiance to Poseidon? But that
seems a bit clunky when earlier we've seen Poseidon explicitly
symbolized by a letter pi.)

> I think it represents 'psyche' which means soul or butterfly.  Various
> interpretations related to this exist on the web, and I don't know
> their authenticity (I don't think anyone really knows what the ancient
> Greeks believed), but certainly the symbology of inscribing it by one
> who has died seems very plausible
>
> - Gerry Quinn
>

>> BTW the stories from Endangered Species are mostly quite sketchy on
>> the wiki -- if anyone would like to fill in a few interpretations,
>> that would be very welcome:
>> http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=WolfeWiki.EndangeredSpecies
>
> ____

I think her name is Psamathe. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psamathe