(urth) Introduction and Breath

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 08:35:38 PDT 2011

I've always assumed that, in Severian's case, he gets the "unreliable narrator"
tag for reasons other than outright lying. There are a number of reasons he
might not be exactly reliable:

1) He's a (or an ex-) political leader writing his memoirs.
2) He's got multiple peoples' memories running around his head, and the
narrator's "I" isn't always the same person's.
3) The cultural differences and "translations" that "Gene Wolfe" made from the
manuscript mean that we don't share the same common cultural context. Thus, a
"steed" or a "mount" isn't always a horse. Or "people" might not always be
human, or humans as we know them. The tower is a rocket, but he doesn't
explicitly mention that because he doesn't need to explain it to the audience he
thinks he's writing for, etc...
4) The obvious point that he claims to have a perfect memory but occasionally
mentions not remembering (or at least not having paid attention to) certain
details.