(urth) Introduction and Breath

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 21:07:17 PDT 2011

From: Allan Anderson <rubel at goosemoon.org>

>I haven't really thought about Nabakov in a critical fashion, so perhaps that's

>why little occurs to me when comparing him to Wolfe. What's an interesting place
>
>to start? The way they present their narrators?

Here's my post at NABOKV-L recommending Wolfe to the people there:

http://listserv.ucsb.edu/lsv-cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0212&L=nabokv-l&P=R9842

Here's one by another person:

http://listserv.ucsb.edu/lsv-cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0504&L=nabokv-l&P=626

Let me also quote a letter Nabokov wrote to Katharine White at the New  Yorker,
who had rejected his story "The Vane Sisters" (which is on a  rather Wolfean
theme):

"Most of the stories I am contemplating (and some I have written in the
past--you actually published one with such an 'inside'--the one about  the old
Jewish couple and their sick boy) will be composed on these  lines, according to
this system wherein a second (main) story is woven  into, or placed behind, the
superficial semitransparent story."

It's not Nabokov's best sentence, but it sounds distinctly like Wolfe's system
to me.  At least a lot of people here read Wolfe that way.

(By the way, I recommend that story about the old Jewish couple, "Signs  and
Symbols"--though over 60 years later, there's no consensus on the
interpretation.)

Jerry Friedman