(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Apr 30 14:08:16 PDT 2011

On 4/30/2011 2:30 PM, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Jeff Wilson<jwilson at io.com>  wrote:
>> I've seen this part of the interview before, somehow...
>
> It's been quoted at least once before:
> http://www.urth.net/whorl/archives/v0012/0558.shtml
>
> It's a great quip and sums up a lot of people's impression of _The
> Dispossessed_ (at least, it did mine), so I suspect it's been alluded
> to or quoted before in other places.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I read, "Those Walk Away From Omelas," and
thought, "This is supposed to be some kind of utopian/dystopian comment?
Thhese people have this tremendously prosperous, liberal, industrialized
society with the only externality being train smoke and the lower
classes shrunk to a single person! Boy, are those people walking away in
for a surprise."

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >