(urth) "Realistic fiction leaves out too much." - Gene Wolfe

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:15:48 PDT 2011

*See http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfeint.html*

*Q:* *What's available to an adult, adventurous reader in science fiction?
Why should they read that genre? Why should they move past realism?*

*GW:* The adventurous reader has probably already moved past realism. I
realize that sounds like a smart remark, but I mean past the kind of fiction
that is called "realism" as a literary genre, and that's what it is: a
literary genre. It is archtypically the story about the college professor
who is married to the other college professor.

Did you read Ursula K. LeGuin's <http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/sf/leguin.html>
 novel, *The Dispossessed<http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/dispossessed.html>
*? It was about the college professor who's married to a college professor,
only science fiction, and this planet is Russia and this planet is the
United States. When I read it I was so disappointed. I'd had a dozen people
tell me how wonderful it was.

*Q:* *Yeah, I heard that too. Then I read it.*

*GW:* I've read that book before; I've read it as realism many a time. It's
a John Updike kind of book. I've read that story so many times ... now I
read a book until I can recognize the story, and say, "This is what it is,"
and that's as far as it goes, since I have no urge to finish it. I'm long
past feeling so guilty that I have to finish everything I start. I don't
finish ninety percent of what I start.

Look, the reason someone should go past that sort of realism is that it is
narrow, stultifying and ultimately false.

*Q:* *And the fantastic genres aren't?*

*GW:* No, not the better stuff. We're dealing with the truth of the human
experience, as opposed to what we are willing to accept from other people.

*Q:* *Wait, I don't see that distinction. The truth of experiences versus
other people's experiences?*