(urth) Geography of the Whorl

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Apr 22 16:36:21 PDT 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

> I'm pretty sure that Viron's culture is South American--presumably that of
> the Commonwealth. The "ball game" is based on the Nahuatl game. It's an
> analogous Catholic culture.
>
> Still, that doesn't mean that Viron couldn't be based on Jerusalem of
> course.

I agree that it is plausibly South American, though I'm not terribly
convinced by the above points.  The Commonwealth did not exist when the
Whorl was launched, and the Whorl contains elements from numerous cultures
(e.g. an Indian culture which provided the forebears of Gaon).  The religion
of the Whorl is allegedly a parody of the state religion of Typhon's time,
which would have been worldwide - and anyway the Catholic religion is hardly
confined to South America .  The ballgame is not specifically the
aforementioned game, in which catching the ball in one's hand is illegal,
though it has elements of it.

On the other hand, the coloration of the people fits, and Mamelta had a pet
parrot named Chiquita.

- Gerry Quinn