(urth) Introduction and Breath

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:00:18 PDT 2011

Ah okay. Then I do not believe the *strong* version to be a true
definition of an Unreliable Narrator. Verbal is merely making up most of
the story. He is "unreliable" only in the sense that he has incorporated
real people into his fabrication and possibly real events.

An unreliable narrator generally attempts to speak the truth, but you
can't RELY on him to do so. He's wrong, misinformed, covers up
inadequacies, or has a screwed up moral code/worldview through which he
interprets events.

Wolfean unreliable narrators:

Weer, because he excludes his culpability
VRT, because he is motivated by nature to completely disappear into Marsch
Severian, because anyone who says "I am mad" is as untrustworthy as a
guy who says "I always lie".
Latro, because of his brain damage he cannot even say himself whether
anything in his diary is true even to the question of whether HE wrote
it. Nor can he know if he was rational at the times when he converses
with gods.
Bax, because he is a con-artist whom we know forged some of his letters
and he has reason to lie to his sister-in-law and probably his brother.