(urth) The Nebraskan and the Nereid

Mo Holkar lists at ukg.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 01:03:47 PDT 2011

At 11:56 18/04/2011, Gerry wrote:
>I think a key element in interpretation (unless we assume a far more
>central and murderous role for the Nereid, which I don't think
>there's any justification for) is that the symbol pertains to the
>maid, not Thoe.  I don't see how the symbology associated with
>Poseidon or his trident fits Whereas psi (for psyche) seems
>appropriate enough to mark a tragic death.

That certainly makes sense, although I think I would need to know
that ancient Greeks / mythic beings had a tradition of marking such
deaths in such a way. It would seem a bit weak for Wolfe just to have
invented it arbitrarily for this occasion.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe