(urth) Incidental observation

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Apr 18 10:59:06 PDT 2011

I was just looking for commentary on Lolita and found the following brief description of a minor character:

Valeria -  Humbert’s first wife, whom he married to cure himself of his addiction to nymphets. Humbert finds Valeria intellectually inferior and often bullies her. When he plans to move to America, Valeria leaves him to marry a Russian taxi driver. Valeria and her husband die in California years later.

I can't imagine Wolfe would appropriate the name Valeria lightly, especially given Severian's attraction to ... well, they aren't nymphets exactly.