(urth) The Nebraskan and the Nereid

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 21:34:49 PDT 2011

> From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>

> She gave her name as Thoe, who is the Nereis of waves or voyage.  (I  can't
>find any significance in 'Papamarkos', which seems to be an ordinary Greek
>name.)
>
> Also, why would she sign her own initial beside the corpse of the  girl, unless
>she had indeed killed her?
>
> So I still prefer the 'psyche'  theory.

How about the other familiar Greek word beginning with a psi: pseudes, "false",
and "pseudein", to lie.  (Thanks to the AHD
<http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/pseudo->.)  Has the maid
been false to her people or her god?  Has the Nebraskan been false to her?
Maybe.

But I think its main meaning is Poseidon's trident.

Jerry Friedman