(urth) Drotte-Roche mixup

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Apr 17 13:13:28 PDT 2011

From: "Tony Ellis" <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>
> Jeff Wilson wrote:

>> We do know that various office functions are still being expected of Sev
>> as he writes. Time passes, Dr Talos comes and goes. Sev could as easily
>> gone a final weekend trip, moved his bowels, and approved a dozen
>> executions between writing "Roche" and "Drotte".
>
> He takes a break on page *two* of his memoirs? In the middle of
> writing an exciting bit? I don't find that very persuasive. Moreover,
> the reason we know about these little interruptions is because
> Severian tells us when they happen. If Wolfe wanted us to think that
> Severian had made a memory slip across such an interruption, he could
> have written it that way.

Some supporting evidence that Severian is hard to interrupt when he gets
into the flow of writing:
"I have also ordered that Nicarete be brought to me, and when I was writing
of our capture, a moment ago, my chamberlain entered to say she waited my
pleasure." (The Claw of the Conciliator)

The capture was some 25-30 pages earlier.

Hopefully some functionary of Severian's made sure that Nicarete was
supplied with tea and buns while she waited in Severian's antechamber...

- Gerry Quinn