(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Thu Sep 30 09:37:30 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> Severian disagrees; *everything* in his story is supernatural to some
> degree: "if the Eternal Principle had rested in that curved thorn...then it
> might rest in anything, and in fact probably did rest in everything, in
> every thorn on every bush, in every drop of water in the sea. The thorn was
> a sacred Claw because all thorns were sacred Claws; the sand in my boots was
> sacred sand because it came from a beach of sacred sand. The cenobites
> treasured up the relics of the sannyasins because the sannyasins had
> approached the Pancreator. But everything had approached and even touched
> the Pancreator, because everything had dropped from his hand. Everything was
> a relic. All the world was a relic. I drew off my boots, that had traveled
> with me so far, and threw them into the waves that I might not walk shod on
> holy ground." CITADEL XXXI

I always felt bad for his boots at this point.  They've been good boots and
didn't deserve such treatment.  Heck, they're relics.  It seems like one
could walk on holy ground with holy boots.

I have always thought that Severian went back and fished his boots out.  He
never mentions being barefoot later on that I can remember.