(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Sep 29 19:15:08 PDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 6:40 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> It seems to me that the whole idea of TBotNS is that there is a lot
> going on in the universe that seems supernatural but isn't. So this is
> an important point.

Severian disagrees; *everything* in his story is supernatural to some
degree: "if the Eternal Principle had rested in that curved thorn...then
it might rest in anything, and in fact probably did rest in everything,
in every thorn on every bush, in every drop of water in the sea. The
thorn was a sacred Claw because all thorns were sacred Claws; the sand
in my boots was sacred sand because it came from a beach of sacred sand.
The cenobites treasured up the relics of the sannyasins because the
sannyasins had approached the Pancreator. But everything had approached
and even touched the Pancreator, because everything had dropped from his
hand. Everything was a relic. All the world was a relic. I drew off my
boots, that had traveled with me so far, and threw them into the waves
that I might not walk shod on holy ground." CITADEL XXXI

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >