(urth) Spring Wind

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Sep 29 13:11:08 PDT 2010

Good! I was going to ask ...
I like the comparison of Horn to John Carter of Mars. But I only read the first book long ago and have forgotten it. Is there any direction the connection gives us?
Certainly Wolfe must have been in a Burroughs kind of mood for a while there, given all the six-legged creatures. Speaking of which, there is a movie version of John Carter of Mars due out in 2012.
And going on another tangent, I always think of the inhumi as a metaphor for what happens when a writer falls under the influence of another writer: if you read a lot of Melville while you are writing, don't be surprised if it ends up retaining some of the character of Melville.
And Wolfe himself enjoys imitation; he did a great Dunsany pastiche once. He is very conscious, if not self-conscious, of the process of literary digestion and re-creation. It's more than just reference---it's re-working.