(urth) Spring Wind

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:03:49 PDT 2010

I am very happy that James is pursuing this line of thought. It was always a pleasure to
identify Earth's myths within Urth's legends. It only enriches things to find that Urth's
legends might also refer to its "flesh and blood" extant characters.

As previously mentioned, I think Severian's association of the Naviscaput with Abaia opens
the door to this theme. If James' ideas about Spring Wind and Typhon can be accepted,
more doors open. I must wonder about every story and legend in BotNS, though I am probably
not literate enough to do the analysis myself.

I think Town That Forgot Fauna is a good candidate with its seemingly immortal old woman,
the nine guys, even a mention of black beans. Could the proud rooster and his harem of hens
and his divinely superior opponent the angel/eagle represent Typhon and his conflict with
Tzadkiel? I find the shapeshifting elements of this and the Armiger's Daughter story to be
intriguing.