(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:27:38 PDT 2010

Ok, Lee, thanks for your thoughts.  You've got me thinking more about the
flood, especially considering *Urth of the New Sun* features the realisation
of this.  The meddling/protecting aliens to some extent representing
dark/light angels is also interesting.

However, that Wolfe finds the Flood more significant than the coming of
Jesus seems very hard to swallow indeed, especially considering the
centrality of the 'bread and wine' (body and blood) of the minor 'wine god'
who is said to be another aspect of the Outsider in Long and Short Suns, the
sharing of which (bread and wine) seems to always bring an epiphany or
theophany (supernatural not digitized).  Even in BotNS Severian muses that
the Conciliator uses his Claw on himself not others (self-sacrifice to save
others).  And surely we're meant to hear echoes of the coming of The Son in
the bringing of the New Sun.  (See also the real-life contemporary hymn on
this theme that Wolfe incorporated into his Evil Guest novel.)

Perhaps we should see Flood and Jesus/Cross/Reconciliation themes coming
together in the concept of the Ark that shelters and saves from the flood
those who are 'hidden' in it/Him.  Does Wolfe's work bring this out at all?
At any rate, with a central name like Conciliator in New Sun and the theme
of blood in Long and Short, the 'person and work of Jesus Christ' (what
theologians call 'christology') really seems like the major
*theological*category and theme to Wolfe's Solar Cycle.  (I know there
are also major
psychological, sociological, philosophical and perhaps other categories and
themes as well.)

Hm, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this theological area is like the
discussions on biology and other scientific aspects of the cycle.  Maybe we
shouldn't press for too many highly consistent details and instead simply
'feel' the resonances of the works as a whole and allow them to do their
literary and imaginative work on us.