(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Sep 27 11:46:08 PDT 2010

Perhaps, but I believe Severian observes that Little Sev was pretty well fried. That suggests that energies were expended in frying him, causing the flash, whether or not some kind of soul extraction occurred.
Since we know the frying occurred, you'd be proposing a doubled event consuming doubled energies and producing doubled results (death and scanning). That's too complicated. And there is no evidence that "soul" scanning requires death.