(urth) note Re: Short Sun blog

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 07:43:12 PDT 2010

Lee Burman wrote:
'For me, the underpinnings of BotNS are as an exploration of the interaction
between
pagan gods and Judeo-Christianity. Wolfe did this by creating an Earth twin
where
The Flood and Jesus never happened, allowing the pagan gods to have
continued dominion
far into the future of where we on Earth are now.'
Yes, it seems clear this is a central theme of the entire Solar Cycle (and
possibly of the Soldier series as well, which I haven't read yet; and
also Wolfe explictly stated that in The Wizard Knight saga he was exploring
chivalry in a world without Christianity [paraphrase from online video, easy
to google]).  My question is just *how* does he do this in BotNS?  How does
a non-existent faith (in the world of Urth where 'The Flood and Jesus never
happened' - assuming this is a correct assumption) 'interact' with a sort of
alternate 'paganism'?  Is this a more or less *allegorical* move on Wolfe's
part, where we see Severian the Christ-*like* figure in the midst of pagan
'lostness' and draw the parallels to our own experienced  history of earth?

Or is it just all wrong to assume this is happening in some other galaxy or
universe or what have you and that we are indeed witnessing a far future of
our own earth with often vague but persistent traces of the Catholic faith
(that is then parodied in BotLS)?

I believe it is said Wolfe himself said BotNS was happening in our remote
past.  But do we have to trust him on this?