(urth) Short Sun blog

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 06:27:32 PDT 2010

  I like the theory that Typhon's powers are largely machine-based. It
fits with what we know: machines' ability to create aquastors, the
Autarchs' words of power (which could be mental as much as audible) that
let them control at least some machines while preventing others from
doing so, and Cyriaca's tale of robotic star empires.

It also fits with Typhon's access to plainly advanced
mechanical/electronic/robotic technology as found in the Whorl. His
technology isn't bio-psionic, though it is genetic as well.

Most of all, it fits with the fact that Wolfe gives us no hints
whatsoever about the source of any mental powers Typhon might have---he
doesn't need to, because Typhon doesn't particularly have any. But we
know that mental powers are possible (Mucor, the Mandragora), so his use
and control of machines is easily explained.

That's also one less reason to think Typhon is not from Urth, though I
still think so.