(urth) Short Sun blog review

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Sep 23 06:44:23 PDT 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Gerry Quinn: I don't see anything in that story to suggest that Spring
>>Wind was Typhon...
>>typhoons ae not particularly associated with Spring

> I don't think typhoons are at all relevant. The Greek monster Typhon was
> mostly
> characterized by being multi-headed and dragon/snake-like. But his
> Egyptian
> cognate, Typhon-Set was not quite as monstrous and very explicitly
> associated
> with hot desert winds and drought.  Sirocco storms are most frequent in
> spring and
> autumn.

Not a strong 'Spring' association.  And if we lose the 'typhoon'
association, the wind connection is even weaker.

> I note that drought and hot winds are a part of the Long Sun story and
> perhaps
> serve a Pas/Typhon purpose.

The drought (as well as any unexpectedly hot winds) is a consequence of the
blockage of some of the Whorl's ventilation tunnels over time; it is an
indication of the decrepitude of the Whorl.  The Whorl as built by
Pas/Typhon did not suffer from drought.

> The Naviscaput story is explicitly associated by Severian with Abaia. By
> parallel I could
> see the possibility that Spring Wind is a benign name and story associated
> with Typhon
> and his origin. Gets a solid "maybe" in my book.

Certainly, Wolfe is inclined to put in such references.  If there were
strong associations between Spring Wind and Typhon, such as a suggestion of
two heads, I'd credit it.  But I think it's a stretch to read an
identification into what we see here.

- Gerry Quinn