(urth) Short Sun blog review

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:45:08 PDT 2010

>> James Wynn -
>> As far as improving the life of any Urthling or colonist, it was surely
>> a tremendous waste. As a monument it was merely tremendous, which is
>> what one desires of a monument.
>
> Antonio -
> But a monument serves its purpose by being there. The Whorl wasn't
> meant to stay there.
>
>> James Wynn -
>> To repeat my analogy, the Pakistani and Iranian nuclear weapons programs
>> will not improve the lives of any average citizen of those nations, nor
>> have they so far. That is not why they are popular there (and they are).
>
> Antonio -
> And what popularity would they enjoy if they were sent to somewhere
> out of reach?

They *are* out of reach. They will never be used. They will never be
seen. Their locations will never be known. They are pure ideals of their
nations as Great Powers. They are far worse monuments than the Whorl.
When the Whorl leaves orbit around Sol, in the minds of Typhon's
subjects it has already arrived at its destination. Think of the
propaganda films! Every painting of Typhon would portray him as a
colossus straddling the cities of the Whorl, his head (only one I
presume) surrounded by fabulous planets. Those left behind on Urth would
greatly envy the lot of those lucky enough to be selected for the trip.
Everything is anticipation and imagination.

u+16b9