(urth) Short Sun blog review

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Sep 21 20:50:31 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:
>  From the Urth Q&A again:
>
> Q: /What was Typhon's purpose in launching the Whorl and was the
> Blue/Green [solar] system the intended destination?/ --
>
> A: Knowing Typhon as I do, he probably had at least half a dozen
> purposes; but certainly one of the chief must have been
> self-aggrandizement -- to return human kind to the stars would be a very
> great thing indeed. Yes, the Blue-Green system was the intended
destination.

> This answer would require some finessing given the evidence in the Book
> and Urth of the New Sun that human-kind is already spread across the
> heavens, that Typhon himself was born or reared extraterrestrially, and
> that at some point he was still free to leave. Perhaps he means
> returning Urth humanity to the stars. The self-aggrandizement must mean
> he wanted to wow the humanity left on Urth, not the humanity being sent.
> Because he deprecates his memory among the colonists.

Lemur said:
"A certain ruler, a man who had the strength to rule alone and so called
himself the monarch, built our whorl, Patera. It was to be a message from
himself to the universe." (LAKE, 298)

The people on Urth would never see the _Whorl_, never receive the message.

Typhon was raw ego. Mt. Typhon's sole purpose was to flaunt his face and
gratify his ego. He did not deprecate his memory or that of his family among
the colonists, he just changed the family names to reflect the new reality
of their digitized existence as gods in Mainframe. On Urth they had been
flesh and blood, and the first walking Cargo on the ship had known and
remembered that, until their memories were tampered with. To go from royalty
to deity is hardly a step down in status.

-Roy