(urth) Oldest altar

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:13:41 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Mason <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Also. Severian dreams of a ritual taking place in the Citadel chapel
> at a time before the old sun was darkened, which invoves bread, wine
> and a knife - not exactly the Christian eucharist, but something like
> it.

In the Eastern Orthodox liturgy, the (leavened) bread used in Communion is
cut with a triangular-bladed knife, referred to as the Spear.

--
Matt +

It is when I struggle to be brief that I become obscure.
    Horace [Quintus Horatius Flaccus] (65-8 B.C.), Epistles, bk. III (Ars
Poetica) [c. 8 B.C.], l. 25