(urth) The face of Pas

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 17:42:24 PDT 2010

  Not to reintroduce last month's debate topic of whether Urth and the
Whorl are in "our" future or not, and thus whether the Commonwealth's
state religion was a decayed Catholicism, or something that might have
arisen in a parallel universe from some universal desire for such a
thing. But---

I am always struck by the way these trappings suggest that this is in
fact what has happened---that this iteration is one without a "savior"
and therefore with hollow versions of the "true religion." Especially
the "sign of addition"---such a perfectly logical alternative
explanation for making the sign of the cross. All these real roots seem
to have been combined out of a yearning for Catholicism by people who
could not have known it.

Either that, or the religion was constructed by people seeking to
imitate Catholicism without understanding it, like amateur
archaeologists. Certainly there is evidence for that kind of deliberate,
almost scientific syncretism. And on the Whorl, both explanations may be
true.