(urth) The face of Pas

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 10:22:45 PDT 2010

>> Jack Smith -
>> I've always taken the parody (of the state religion and of
>> Catholicism) to consist of such things as a celibate priesthood, celibate
>> nuns who teach children, confession, absolution, last rites, and the voided
>> cross.   The original religion does not have to have been polytheistic.
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes- However - since you have (correctly in my opinion) opened up the
> can-O-worms of parodied Catholicism - it might be argued that a
> polytheistic religion, where all the gods are members of the same
> family, could stand as a parody of the relations of the Holy Trinity
> in Catholicsm.

Also, the veneration of the Holy Family and saints. All of these were
all presented as evidence, by Islamic competitors, that 8th c
Christianity was polytheistic.

While there might have been some of that in there, mostly I think Wolfe
found it most appealing to create a demonic version Greek mythology as
well as tossing in some Etruscan rituals and forms and shunting the
whole thing onto a gnostic foundation.

u+16b9