(urth) The Pelerine (COTA 12)

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 04:00:21 PDT 2010

Mr Thalassocrat wrote (14-09-2010 10:40):

> Not all of them are bizarre or implausible, but overall I think the list
>  is consistent with hypotheses that (a) Dorpian names come from some list
>  of Dutch words that the Whorl team found somewhere & as a body don't
> have much to do with names that a real Dutch culture would use; and (b)
> the Dorpians quite possibly don't even speak Dutch & have no idea what
> these names "mean".

Here I disagree. Not only are the dorpians seafarers, which is quite dutch,
their names are not weird at all. Even Dorp (english thorpe) is the word for
'town'. Of course they are not dutch, but they do look dutch-inspired. As to
the language, they speak the 'common tongue' funny, with what can be
considered a dutch syntax.

Not that this is in any way inconsistent with the hypothesis that the
cultures in the Whorl were fashioned from bits and scraps of urthly
originals rather than from the full orginals themselves.