(urth) Inire's outpourings (was: Re: Autarchial Embellishments Collected)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Sep 9 16:58:55 PDT 2010

Just for fun also, why not also compare and contrast this list with the
effusions of Fr. Inire in his first letter to newly-minted Autarch
Severian - I think these trump even Jolenta's somewhat tacky hyperbole
(Hethor's is far more tacky I'd admit, but then he's a paid-up enemy of
the New Sun and also a total perv, can we ignore him for the moment?)

Inire addresses Sev as follows:

"His servant Inire hails the bridegroom of the Urth

[I think this is the only point in the entire Work where the planet is
referred to as 'the Urth' rather than just 'Urth'. No idea of the
significance of this. However the Bridegroom metaphor is borrowed
directly from the New Testament; aside from references in several
parables, in the Book of Revelation the New Jerusalem is the Bride, and
Christ Himself is Bridegroom.]

"Master of Nessus and the House Absolute

[Well yes of course; along with the throne, Sev has inherited the words
of mastery from his predecessor]

"Chief of his Race

[Here Inire apparently recognises Severian in advance as the Epitome,
though we don't know whether he uses the phrase as a courtesy title or
whether, as a Hierodule, he truly has advance knowledge of Severian's
destiny]

"Gold of his people, Messenger of Dawn

[The name of the renewed Urth, Ushas, is that of the Hindu Goddess of
Dawn, Ushas; and in view of what transpires, Severian is truly Her
messenger. And the 'Gold' metaphor echoes one of Jolenta's effusions,
unfortunately one of the tackier ones!]

"Helios

[Greek Sun God name, Severian as Apollo]

"Hyperion

[In Greek mythology, the son of Gaia and Ouranos; also referred to in
mythology as Helios-Hyperion, the High One of the Sun. Homeric writings
refer to a Helios Hyperionoides - the Sun, Son of Hyperion. All entirely
appropriate for the New Sun.]

"Surya

[Hindu sun/weather-god; his symbol is the thunderbolt (vajra - dorje in
Tibetan usage). This god-name is also the linguistic cognate of the
Scandinavian Thor / eastern European Perun - not inappropriate given our
Sev's later-proven ability to quieten the storm. Jesus on the Sea of
Galilee also exhibits Thor-like capabilities]

"Savitar

[The name of  a Vedic solar deity, interestingly in the context of
BOTNS, in the Vedic hymns He is a beneficent Deity and as He extends His
arms, the Dawn - Ushas - extends Her light.]

"and Autarch!"

well of course :)

JD