(urth) Names on the Whorl

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Sep 8 04:56:57 PDT 2010

  Of course, no "Anglo" name has a simple history. But these are plainly
British:*
*
---Warren (/woh-renn/), of old Germanic
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Germanic> origin, is a common English
language <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language> masculine
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculine> given name
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Given_name>,or a surname
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surname> meaning "enclosure".
1
/chiefly British/ /a/ *:* a place legally authorized for keeping small
game (as hare or pheasant) /b/ *:* the privilege of hunting game in such
a warren

---"Wight" is Scottish, either from pale/fair-haired or nimble/strong.

My thought was that these names could be found in any language, like a
name derived from a particular trade. But they are pretty unique,
whichever derivation you choose.