(urth) GUT's and so on

Mo Holkar lists at ukg.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 01:47:13 PDT 2010

At 20:42 05/09/2010, you wrote:
>Africa is okay but the other possible homelands leave me very
>suspicious about the true
>Earthly origins of Shadow Children.

In Classical times Africa was seen as a land of mythic wonders, hence
"ex Africa semper aliquid novi". So I think this fits into the
fantastical pattern of the other suggested homelands.

I take all this to be flagging the Shadow Children up as analogous to
the various fay myths that humans have cherished on Earth. Perhaps
Wolfe is hinting at a galaxy-wide settlement of fay-analogues before
humans came along -- like in Poul Anderson's 'The Queen of Air and
Darkness', if I'm remembering that correctly.

>Poictesme is a fictional province of France in the work of a
>somewhat obscure fantasy writer, James Branch Cabell.

Sad to reflect that Cabell is now fairly described as "somewhat
obscure". He was hugely influential on a wide range of SF & F
authors, and I think much of his work is still very worthwhile and
interesting. Lots of it can be read on Project Gutenberg, as it's out
of copyright -- I recommend starting with Jurgen:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8771

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe