(urth) GUT's and so on

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:50:04 PDT 2010

>Jeff Wilson- The "Country of Friends" is almost certainly a reference to Texas,
>named after the the indigenous word for "friends". Texas is quadruply appropriate
>as the boyhood home state of Gene Wolfe.

I like this explanation pretty well. Also, the state motto of Texas is "Friendship",
based on the Caddo word.

Philadelphia seems a longer shot- its name most commonly translated as "brotherly
love" but as the center of the "Quaker" religion the preferred name of which is "The
Religious Society of Friends".

Moreover, Texas is more like a "Land" while Philly is more like an urban jungle.