(urth) Grand Unified Theory

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Sep 2 12:20:03 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:
> Xiphias, Pike, Fish
>
> What's that? I thought I heard the sound of someone's head exploding.
> Never mind, I'm sure it's nothing.

Xiphias is a swordsman and his name means swordfish. So what? Every name
means something. There are several other characters named after fish. Are
they all therefore related? Is the bouncer at Orchid's related to Pike, just
because his name is Bass? Is Pork, the owner of the restaurant where Auk
bought Silk dinner, related to Pig? I could go on and on with this, but it's
pointless. Where does presumed kinship between characters based on name
associations stop? Where does it start, and how do you decide which are
relevant and which are not?

Surely you don't mean to suggest that Xiphias is a related to Pike, and
therefore to all the other characters you believe Pike to somehow be. Do you
really want to take it that far?

-Roy