(urth) Grand Unified Theory

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 21:14:01 PDT 2010

> Roy - Rather, he had just told both men they must all leave before the Guard got
> there.
> "You, Master Xiphias, must return home. You're a fine swordsman, but you
> can't possibly protect me from a squad of troopers with slug guns. You, Your
> Eminence, must go to Maytera Mint. Don't bother filling your belly. If -  "
> (277)
> He was interrupted at that point by Oreb announcing that a girl was coming,
> quickly.

Of course! They thought Hy was at the head of an invasion of the Guard!

> Scared Remora split right away, but Xiphias only ducked out of sight, as he
> owned up to about twenty pages later (296). He had wanted to give Silk the
> swordcane. Hy had seen him when Silk was being carried up to her room (297). Anyway, there is no mystery there.

Oh. So Xiphias was just doing as he was told. Except he wasn't told to
watch out for small prostitutes. And he then he didn't do it. I didn't
presume they were beamed on to the Enterprise. I just think their sudden
exit is peculiar. But now I know there's no mystery there. See? It's as
easy as saying it.

> What I don't understand is why no one picked up on the obvious fact the old
> man is clearly Inire. Xiphias is an obvious anagram for Apish XI, the
> eleventh simian iteration of Inire.

Those idiots make me laugh. The way they ascribe clues in a Wolfe novel
from the names of people and things. What possible evidence does anyone
have for that? I certainly don't see it.

u+16b9