(urth) Grand Unified Theory

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Sep 1 05:46:14 PDT 2010

  Lee

Isn't it a part of your theory that Typhon is a Megatherian, thus an
amorphous monster from space inhabiting a human body? This would explain
his lack of attachment to a particular body or planet (though that needs
little explanation), as well as his powers and, especially, his
remarkable disdain for Erebus and Abaia as creatures he would enslave.
He's a megalomaniac, but not far out of proportion to his psychic
abilities. Or is he?

Cloning is not that hard to do and must be regarded as a skill available
to Typhon's scientists, but genetics itself can't explain Typhon. Who
created Typhon, if he is a genetic monster? Did he perform genetic
modification on himself? If so, where did he come from to rule several
worlds and gain that power of self-enhancement in the first place?

If he is a sport like the Asimov's Mule (another kind of monster), how
did a sport suddenly appear with such godlike powers? If Typhon is so
smart, why does he rely on his scientists so much? How much of his
technology was available and how much was created by/for him? How was he
so completely fooled by his officers?

A question parallel to Roy's is, If Typhon can scan himself into Pas,
why not scan himself into another body?

On a related note, although the backstory of the Whorl has been well
worked out, I have never entirely grasped how it fits with Severian's
encounter with Typhon. Why was Typhon, with all his powers, so helpless
when his slaves fled with his ships? Why couldn't he break out of his
mountain? What disaster were they fleeing anyway? Did agriculture
collapse with the darkening of the sun, or was it something else? He
doesn't mention the Whorl, of course.

This world, the most ancient of all, I made my capital. That was an
error, because I lingered too long when disaster came. By the time I
would have escaped, escape was no longer open to me—those to whom I had
given control of such ships as could reach the stars had fled in them,
and I was besieged on this mountain.