(urth) Short Sun blog review
danldo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 11:55:07 PDT 2010
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is the possibility that Wolfe never really thought hard about why
> Typhon sent out the Whorl.
I suspect that the sequence went something like this...
1. Wolfe decided to write what became tBotLS, a book about a
generation ship that actually succeeds in getting its "cargo" to its
destination. (Note that the series was originally called
"Starcrosser's Landing," as indicated in the first HC edition.)
2. Possibly at the same time, he decides to write about "a good man in
a bad religion."
3. The two collide in the story of Silk and his false gods.
4. Wolfe thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if the chief god was
Typhon...?" and thus tied the whole thing to tBotNS.
5. Years later, someone asked him why Typhon sent out the Whorl,
causing him to really think about it for the first time.
More information about the Urth