(urth) The Pelerine (COTA 12)

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:07:18 PDT 2010

Hi. I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I read BOTNS a
while ago, but didn't feel qualified to take part in discussion till I
had read _Urth_, which I have just finished.

People comment from time to time on characters in BOTNS who aren't
named, although they seem significant enough to have names - e.g. the
Autarch or the old boatman. One I haven't seen discussed is the
Pelerine Severian talks with in COTA chapter 8. I think she is
particularly notable, because this part of the book is very carefully
structured. The odd chapters contain stories from Foila and co.: the
even chapters contain meetings of Severian with people connected with
the Pelerines. Three of them are named - Ava, Winnoc and Mannea - but
this one, even though the chapter is called after her, is just 'the
Pelerine'.

Any thoughts on what her significance could be?