(urth) Concrete

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Oct 29 23:43:15 PDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 3:42 PM, Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org wrote:
> Howdy listers, lurkers, and layabouts,
>
> As I've mentioned previously, I'm working on some illustrations related to New Sun...
> I have another question for you scientifically "hard" minded readers.
>
> Concrete.  Is there some reason that I've not yet thought of that
> would prevent concrete casting from being a viable technology on Urth
> in Ymar's or Severian's time  It strikes me that concrete casting is
> a method that humanity would not lose, and I can't think of any
> reason why it wouldn't be used on Urth.

Speaking as a playtester for GURPS LOW-TECH (coming to a gamestore near
you!): concrete is ancient; many Roman buildings include concrete and
mortar construction, but it is very time consuming and labor intensive
to make. Once motorized mixing is available (there are any number of
still-moving machines on Urth), the chief expense becomes transporting
the component earths from where the may be found (a problem with the
roads closed in the Commonwealth) *if* they may be found after chiliads
of construction.

I think the oubliette can be explained by having the ship-towers
grounded in a field that is the remains of the old port, and the Citadel
was made by putting up the unsmeltable walls and the inside covered over
and built on like San Francisco after the 1906 quake. The oubliette and
tunnels beneath it may not be literally and directly beneath the tower,
but to one side, extending down from the lowest entrance hatch.

If the ships landed in pits, then there might be only a couple feet of
crumbling concrete rubble in most places of the former ground level,
easy enough to break through with the remaining bits of tech in the
Commonwealth if it wasn't cleared away at the time the unsmeltable slabs
were put up.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >