(urth) Oldest altar

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 05:13:50 PDT 2010

On 6 October 2010 07:19, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
> The Duko admonished Silkhorn, saying "You failed
> repeatedly to honor the gods as is their right." "You wakers on the _Whorl_.
> In Nessus the gods walked among us, lords and ladies of Urth, even unto
> Shining Pas." (217)
>
> Note the plural, gods, flesh-and-blood entities seen by the public in
> Nessus. By Pas he means Typhon, the man with a single head. As I have said
> before, I don't care what religion(s) had been practiced during Typhon's
> reign or what the state religion may have been. But Rigoglio claimed that
> the Typhons had been regarded as gods on Urth, and that helps to explain
> some of the outrageous behavior attributed to them that I outlined above,
> and the sense of fear felt by people who had known them on Urth; gods can
> get away with anything, so long as they have the power.

That's not how I read it (that the Typhons had been regarded as gods
on Urth). Rather, the people he [now] knows as gods walked among him
and others on Urth. Just as he doesn't remeber their names, he doesn't
remember their role at the time; wakers take them as gods, so gods it
is. Mamelta - who didn't have years after her awakening to come to
regard the wakers' culture as more reliable than her own (a point
Rigoglio stresses) - doesn't seem to regard Typhon as a god, but as a
conqueror. Now, it isn't impossible that a god appears as a conqueror,
but somehow it doesn't look like that to me in her discourse.