(urth) Concrete

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Oct 29 15:04:24 PDT 2010

From: <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
> Concrete.  Is there some reason that I've not yet thought of that would
> prevent concrete casting from being a viable technology on Urth in Ymar's
> or Severian's time  It strikes me that concrete casting is a method that
> humanity would not lose, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't
> be used on Urth.
>
> This came to mind when reading the Innovation comic, where the Oubliette
> is pictured with medieval stone masonry.  The thought of a spaceport built
> on walls of rounded stone just seems wrong to me.  No, the citadel would
> have tons and tons of concrete along with it's unsmeltable metal.

I agree.  Unless some futuristic technology makes it really easy to cut
perfectly-shaped stone blocks!

(I always liked how in World of Warcraft the blasted fortress of Auchindown
is seen to be constructed of reinforced concrete - it was a slight surprise
in a fantasy world but I thought it worked very well.)

- Gerry Quinn